Monday, November 19, 2007

A new creation

This afternoon, I read II Corinthians 5. In this chapter, there is the rather well-known verse: "Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold all things have become new."

I thought about what it means to be "in Christ". Knowing Christ is not just an intellectual transaction and acceptance of the historical facts of Jesus, rather it is a relationship that goes beyond this and becomes an inward personal knowledge that is characterized as a love for Him who loved us all the more.

If I am in Christ, what does this mean in the outworking of my life? We are new creations. As Isaiah 43:18 says, "Do not remember the former things, nor consider the things of old." In this, I am not to live in my past sins. As a new creation, I will never be the exact same person I used to be. It would be to my shame and terrible loss if I turn out to be unchanged, content to be superficial, content to accommodate myself and excuse myself before God. I need to live up to be challenge of being a new creation.

Am I living the same way I do as a Christian as the way I do when I live in sin? Am I seriously making an effort to press on to the mark of the heavenly calling of God in Christ Jesus?

There needs to be a conscience determination in my life to be like Christ (altered famous saying? Ha!). And how can I do that? In Christ and him alone. In his strength, as a new creation. Believe him and believe he has made me a new creation. Look the devil in the face and resist him. If I can resist the devil, surely I will be able to look myself in the face and flee the habits of the old self.

No comments: